1. So, our Reading Room is currently under construction. We’re getting new carpet! Please note that as a result, the bulk of our collections are inaccessible this week. I’m working from the Reading Room. And working is a relative term, since I have no access to any files on my work desktop. Here’s your proof, a picture of my office from this morning. Note the vintage carpet being replaced, which was original to the building in 1977.
More pics in the photoset here.
2. Flames Rising reviewed Chicks Dig Comics over the weekend, too.
3. This is, of course, post-WisCon. Which was Awesome. and EPIC. And I’m still recovering. My panels went well. Plus, gelato and many other Tasty Foods Unavailable In DeKalb were consumed, which is always a good thing.
4. The Chicks Dig Comics party at WisCon was a hit, especially the test tube shots featuring comics-themed drinks (hat tip to the SkepChicks and the Mad Cow Asylum partythrowers at CONvergence and Capricon respectively, from whom we totally stole the idea). I hear that the “She-Hulk” was especially potent…and popular. We also had the Leetah, the Wonder Woman, and the Jean Grey. As is right and proper. Elizabeth Bear and Scott Lynch did a great job as our bartenders. Sigrid Ellis and the Fantastic Fangirls did a great job with setup and teardown, and made it feel like a par-tay. (Special thanks to Jennifer and Monica for getting me to the grocery store!) There may have been some ukulele sing-along action as well. Thanks to Mad Norwegian Press for sponsoring the party. 🙂
The dessert salon was lovely, as always, as were the GoH speeches. I got to give away the Tiptree Award (money! chocolate! a tiara! art!) to Andrea Hairston (while wearing the Hugos dress again). This was great fun. And if you haven’t read Redwood and Wildfire yet, you really should. Afterwards, we genderfloomped at the Genderfloomp dance (tagline: F*** the binary. Let’s boogie).
5. The other thing I was giving away at WisCon were printed Apex Magazine samplers (an online version is available, too). And they disappeared quickly! But fear not: I will likely have more at upcoming conventions, and sometime soon (probably after WorldCon), there will be autographed samplers available as a bonus for new subscribers. Stay tuned. 😉
It was great to meet Apex readers and contributors in person, too. It’s always nice to put a face to the names, especially since I haven’t even met my publisher in person yet (that will happen at WorldCon).
So, yes. Fantastic WisCon. Great weekend. Please send sleep and extra coffee.