Busy week this week. Lots going on.
1. I will be one of the three instructors for the Paradise Lost III writers workshop, April 11-14, 2013 in San Antonio, TX. I get to work with Mary Robinette Kowal and Stina Leicht, warping minds with the best of ’em. These workshops are designed for “Graduates, instructors, and staff of Viable Paradise and Taos Toolbox.” Check out the links for more information.
…Speaking of Mary Robinette Kowal, she’s doing a Friends of the Library event tomorrow night here at NIU. You should come. It’s free!
2. Chicks Unravel Time, edited by Deborah Stanish and L.M. Myles, is coming out in a month! The table of contents is available, and includes my essay on Season 24 of Doctor Who, “Build High For Happiness,” where I defend Sylvester McCoy’s first season as the Doctor. If you haven’t yet gotten all of your Geek Girls Chronicles books, Mad Norwegian is selling ALL 4 books at one low price, to be shipped when Chicks Unravel Time comes out in November. Check out Katy Shuttleworth’s cover art: Verity makes a comeback!
3. If you didn’t get to see the Hugo Awards Ceremony on UStream live, it’s now available in its entirety.
4. It’s hard to believe, but I’ve been the Editor-in-Chief of Apex Magazine for a whole year now. Michael presented me with a wonderful card that he sneakily got numerous Apex contributors and staff to sign at several conventions to mark the occasion. I cried tears of happiness. It has been such a wonderful thing to be part of, and I can’t thank all of you enough. There’s more awesome to come: stay tuned, and in the meantime, check out our spiffy new website and this month’s issue!
5. We had Caitlin’s IEP meeting yesterday. It went much better than we expected. I’ve been struggling for several months with the changes to her educational and care plans at school and at home, but that meeting made it very clear that she is thriving under the new plan, and we made the right choices for her.