2013 was an interesting year, full of beginnings and endings. Michael and I were discussing it (as you do), and I felt like I hadn’t accomplished anything this year. So we started listing the things that we did this year, because they should count!
1. I got tenure. This is a BIG BIG DEAL, as it provides job security and a modest raise that was enough to afford a car payment. It also felt…strange, because other than the sense of relief when I got the news, my job did not fundamentally change.
2. We got a new car. See #1.
3. I did a bunch of podcasts, namely Verity! and the SF Squeecast. The SF Squeecast won a second Hugo Award, which brings my lifetime total to three. *boggles*
4. I published two books, Glitter & Mayhem and The Book of Apex, vol. 4.
5. I edited 12 issues of Apex Magazine.
6. I stepped down from the helm of Apex Magazine after the December issue. *waves hanky*
7. Caitlin had a pretty good year, including staying healthy *knocks wood,* having good friends and a new teacher that she adores at school, and getting to meet Freema Agyeman at Chicago TARDIS, which I SUSPECT was a highlight for her.
8. Michael also had a pretty good year, editing Glitter & Mayhem with John Klima and me, and Queers Dig Time Lords with Sigrid Ellis. Plus, yanno, handling all of Caitlin’s care stuff. And life stuff. And house stuff. And all the OTHER STUFF that he does. ❤
9. We learned that despite losing Michael’s promised family help, we managed to do a bunch of conventions with Caitlin in tow. Specifically because our friends came through for us like gangbusters and made it possible for us to have breaks. If you’re one of the folks who took a shift, THANK YOU. EXTRA SPECIAL THANK YOU to Jaime Lee Moyer, who watched Caitlin so that we could go to the entire Hugos ceremony. We created “found family” when we least expected it, but needed it most, and joyously so. Y’all have made many things possible, including my attending a grant-related digital preservation conference in Barcelona, in addition to conventions throughout the year. Thank you.
10. We got to go back to the East Coast for vacation and see my side of the family and lots of friends old and new, some for the first time in nearly a decade. I also may have watched some Doctor Who and Star Trek and read a few books.
11. Our collections at NIU expanded to include the Lois McMaster Bujold papers, as well as the SFWA Archives.
…apparently, this year went to 11. As is right and proper.
12. You got to meet the awesomeness that is me!
Okay. Kidding 😉
It was indeed awesome. 🙂